Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Knowing an Angel


Joylin Smith was born with several health issues that have made her life very complicated and sometimes just plain yucky. She wasn't expected to live through puberty but beat the odds and managed to make it to the age of 31. Today, Joy was finally freed from her frail and troubled earthly body.

She decided about 2 weeks ago to stop receiving dialysis and be done with this fight. There were beginning to be too many complications that were causing her a lot of pain and frustration. It was an extremely hard, yet such a brave decision on her part. She has spent the last two weeks having the time of her life. She was visited almost every night by people who loved her and wanted to say goodbye. She ate things she hasn't been allowed to for such a long time. She was exhausted but happy. Sunday night the pain started getting really bad and the dosage of morphine had to continually be increased. She became very tired and lost her energy. She spent last night in terrible pain causing her to vomit and cry and even occasionally scream. This morning we got the call that she was unconscious. We were told that once that happened, it would be a short amount of time before she would pass.

Her entire family (adults) gathered at her bedside to be with her through this difficult time. I have never witnessed anything so awful, yet so wonderful at the same time. Her breathing was so labored and eventually became very "rattled". We all said our goodbyes, shed tears and let her know how much we loved her. Hospice had come and done what they could for her and just encouraged us to keep her on a nice dosage of morphine. As the time drew closer, Glade and his brothers surrounded her to give her a priesthood blessing. At that time, she was told her Heavenly Father was ready to receive her. We had put in a CD, Reflections of Christ, so it wasn't just silence in her room. As we were all gathered together, the song Amazing Grace came on. This couldn't have been scripted any more perfectly. It was completely moving and wonderful. Only a few minutes later, Be Still My Soul began to play and Joy took her last breaths. It was a bittersweet moment to say the least.

I have been so excited for Joy to get to move on to a more beautiful place where she could be free from her broken body...to enjoy the blessings she wasn't able to attain in this life...however, I couldn't have anticipated the sorrow at watching her pass. She has endured so much in her 31 years and always with such an amazingly good attitude. As hard as it was to watch her suffer and to leave us, the joy and peace that followed was so much more powerful. I know where she is, I know she is happy and I know I will see her again. That's the beauty of the Gospel and the Plan of Salvation. This past Sunday we celebrated Easter, the beautiful and miraculous resurrection of our Savior. He lives....and so does she.



Joylin Smith


Smith Family 2011

7 comments:

Leslie said...

What a beautiful tribute. She was truly an inspiration of strength to so many. (((hugs)))

Kristi Veralrud said...

Thanks for sharing about Joy. I shed a lot of tears for her today. I am sure our Savior is happy to have her. What terrible pain for her that she had to endure. It is great that you all got to be with her and she was given the blessing. She also gets to see Reed. I look forward to seeing him as well. Thanks again.

Gardner Family said...

I am so sorry for your loss! Joy was such a strong person and had such a wonderful spirit. I'm so glad she was able to enjoy some of her favorite things before she passed. please know our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time.

Nativeraving said...

I met her a few times when I went to school with donna, she was such a nice person and had a beautiful soul.
My blessings are with her.

trublubyu said...

such a tender post. what a blessing for you and glade to be with her and the family when she left this life. you are awesome!

Brandis said...

I couldn't stop the tears from falling as I read this. Joy was one of the first people I met in Arizona and from the very first hello, she made me feel like I was her friend and always had been. Every time I saw her she greeted me in a way that made me feel so loved. I hope the spirit brings all of you the peace that you need. I feel so blessed to have known her. (and you!!)

Heather said...

what a nice write up. I remember her from your kids baptisms. Hugs to your family. Its so nice to know you will see her again one day. ♥