Monday, May 16, 2011

Today I Love My Family

OK, so I love them everyday, but some days more than others. I have learned that it's mostly a frame of mind. If you choose to see the good and be an active participant in making the good, it usually turns out to be pretty GOOD. For today:

Seeing my teenager "try" to walk beside me at school even though I know it's pure torture for him. I was touched.

Watching a grouchy, 10 year old face turn from grumpy to giggling as he falls for the old "see food" joke.

Hugging a teenager just a few seconds longer than normal and then hearing "I love you Mom."

Listening to a six year old do crazy good math and just beam when you tell him how smart he is.

Catching a glimpse of your 11 year old and thinking "wow, she's really pretty."

Rocking out to a little Bon Jovi with your teenage girl, a bond we will now have forever.

Telling your 13 year old NO to a computer turn 3 times and having him except it cheerfully.

Having a tiny little arm draped across your neck as she sleeps next to you in the middle of the day.

Hearing your college girls ringtone a couple of times in one day. (and she's not asking for money)

Singing "popcorn popping" really loudly for family home evening.

Looking out the window and seeing a 4 and 6 year old swinging together.

Fixing your familiy's favorite dinner with three kids sitting on the counter while you do

Overhearing that your teenage girl told her brother that I told her she was my favorite. I guess there's a new code that because I said "see ya hon" I really meant "you're my favorite".

Hearing the words "I need help" from a 16 year old.

Getting multiple kisses through a window as you're trying to drive away.


I'm sure many more days could have been as good as this one, but today I wanted it to be good and I kept my mind and heart in a place to see and appreciate the little things. I believe, in return, they reacted to my positivity and so I got even more little things. I'm seeing too many people I love and that are close to me, going through really tough and scary times. Divorce, falling away from their beliefs, division among parents and children.... It makes me heartsick and scared at the same time. When all is said and done, it's up to me to be happy and strong. Once I'm in a good place I can reach out to those around me and help them as well. I want my kids to count on me and feel safe and happy in our home. Ultimately, that's my responsibility. It starts with me being grateful...and I am.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet, touching, inspiring and beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Tina Green said...

Oops.. that anonymous is just me. :>)

B said...

Beautiful, thanks!

Leslie said...

Great attitude!