Saturday, April 16, 2011

This Week

This week was mostly uneventful, well at least not eventful. Took Brooklyn and Whitley shopping for a few new things since I had some good coupons at Kohl's. It's so hard to shop for B right now. Her size makes it so hard to find anything that actually fits her and then to have it actually look cute is a whole nother challenge. I wish I could help her see that she is on a bad road. I've already been through this whole situation one other time and through that I came to realize it has to come from within them. Until then...

Thursday I had lunch with some friends and the kids got to play for a couple of hours which they loved. But I had a weird "moment" on the way there. I saw a lady driving who's kids go to the same school as mine. She is very plain and quite homely. One day she dyed her hair this strange color of bright red. What occurred to me that day is that she obviously was going for a new look or that she wanted to look good. What is odd is that her hair always hangs down thin and greasy. So the color of it isn't really that relevant since she doesn't actually do her hair anyway. In my "trying to be positive" way I decided maybe she just hadn't gotten ready for the day at the times I see her and maybe she cleans up rather nicely. Anyway, it made me start to think about what assumptions people make of me based on my appearance and the car I drive and the clothes I wear.

I realized that no one can ever really know who you are because there's so much that goes on in your head that never actually comes out. Then it occurred to me that I'm with myself ALL the time! I started to get a little creeped out at this point. I can never escape myself, I'm always there! Because I get a little weird sometimes, I began to attempt to stop "thinking". Well, you really can't do that, your brain is always working. But the more I kept telling myself to stop thinking, the more I wanted to not "hear" myself anymore. Ahhhhh!!! Finally in a moment of rational thinking, I put an end to the craziness in my head, started singing along to the radio and went on with my day. I did mention "weird" moment didn't I?

Friday I went to the scratch and dent food store with Jenny and came back with lots of junk. By junk I mean sugar filled yummy stuff. Later we went to dinner and a comedy club with the Garr's. We haven't been on a date in a really long time! This morning we got up and went to audition for Annie. I know, I said I needed a break, but it was too tempting. My singing was awful...I mean humorously awful. But whatever, at least they know me and hopefully will overlook my serious deficit in that department. Stephen, Brooklyn and Dalin all went with and later Glade finally decided to go down as well. We'll see how this one turns out in a few days. Tonight is the Hairspray cast party at Schnepf Farms. It's good to have wealthy people with resources in your cast. We get to take all the kids for dinner, rides, music, etc...all for free! Yippee!

Nick had his first date last night with a girl in our ward who was also having her first date. They did a group thing with Whitley and another friend so there were six of them altogether. I think he had a good time and already has plans to ask another girl to the spring formal that's in two weeks. I'm hoping this is a good thing for him to make more and better friends and to find a place where he is comfortable socially. The kids are all growing up!

1 comment:

Jake and Jenny said...

Let me know how the Annie tryouts end up. It was a fun week getting together. How many more days until the cruise?