Wednesday, April 13, 2011

An Unknowing Sponge

Wow! I just assumed that when things didn't make sense to a little girl or the content was above her understanding, she just tuned it out. In one ear and out the other. NOT! On the way home from Costco, Katy asked me "Why was Amber so mean to Tracy?" (Hairspray reference) Then she said "Why did Amber say Tracy was fast and slow at the same time? Is that really true?" Yikes! This was seriously a very minor line in the play referring to her being fast (with boys) and slow (special ed). I can't believe she remembers it or has even had a second thought to what it actually means. I told her it wasn't possible to be fast and slow at the same time. Then she proceeds to tell me how Link broke up with Amber because he fell in love with Tracy. And then wondering why Tracy was arrested and what is arrested. And how Link told Amber not to be mean to Tracy. Holy Cow!! She must have been paying really close attention.

This is frightening on so many levels. It's definitely a wake up call to pay more attention to what is going in to that adorable little dimpled head of hers. I will make a conscious effort to change songs when I would normally just assume she is too young to understand. It has only recently really started to register that she is 4. I mean that in a "she's not so little anymore" sort of way. Actual conversations and abilities. Where'd my baby go??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing what little kids hear, and how they interpet it. Nope, she isn't a baby anymore!