Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Soft Heart

I was reminded kindly through an email gem that infrequent and unplanned home evenings might not be good enough. Guilty. So yesterday I spent some time on a lesson that I thought would be good. The basic gist was that our minds need tending to. They compared it to an empty lot that is easily left to collect trash and other unwanted items. In contrast, a yard that is planned out, tended to and constantly nourished is pretty and clean and enjoyable. So it is with our minds. We read a rather long section of scriptures where Alma has us take an inventory of our righteousness. It was really long and I was afraid I was losing them.

I was watching their faces and behavior to see how bad it was getting. Dalin started out playing with his belly button but not too far in, I felt like he was listening and even his facial expressions were intriguing me. I think I saw some emotion in there. Once the reading was done, I asked each person to say one thing they got out of it. Dalin was first. I have no idea what he said only that it came out in a little sob and tears seeped out of his eyes. I asked him why he was sad and he said he didn't know, it just came to him.

I explained about the Holy Ghost and how he was feeling that and how it's good to feel those things and that it's great that he can recognize when he may need to improve on some things. It made the entire night worth it and completely successful in my book. That is exactly what was meant by that little gem. What things are they missing because I don't plan or prepare? Dalin can be the rudest little snap and yet he has such a tender heart and is very willing to listen to the spirit. I love him.

I'm so grateful for the teachings of the church that help me to raise my kids with strength and direction. What a blessing to watch them have spiritual experiences. On a little humorous note, this morning during prayer, Rhett prayed that we would all plant a flower in our minds today and not throw cans in it. HAVE FAMILY HOME EVENING!!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Thanks for the kick in the pants.