Friday, April 30, 2010

Sounding off

Most of my life I have stayed out of politics or just went along with whatever my husband thought because I honestly don't care that much. I think it's all crooked and dishonest and there are no real "good" candidates. Our country is a mess financially and truthfully there's not a lot I, personally, can do about it. Some of you may be busting a gut right now and that's ok, I understand. Still, it's my opinion. I'm sure I'm even probably on the liberal side regarding how much the govt gets involved when they shouldn't. I have to admit, I love the no smoking ban. Works well for me. Most things don't even affect me so, whatever. Lately, however, I have been feeling a little more annoyed at the different things that are trying to be regulated. I think there's a place for all sorts of "activist" groups and "concerned citizens", but to actually make laws seems a little crazy. So here I go.

A law about Happy Meals?? Really? That's why the govt doesn't have enough money to cover the necessities is because money is being wasted on regulating Kids Meals? I'm dumbfounded. I do think we need to be concerned about how our kids eat. I think making apples and milk available is fantastic, my kids even choose them occasionally. BUT, to tell a child that if they choose french fries today, no toy for you! (best soup nazi impression) What if I take my kid to McDonald's once a month and that's the only crap they are ever allowed to eat? No toy? That's about the only reason we go there, prize inside! They don't care what they eat and half the time they don't eat what's in there no matter what it is. We need a law about this? What if my kid is allergic to apples? I think our country is seriously addicted to fatty fast food. Not debating that at all. We are fatter than ever. Maybe we should be putting self-shut off buttons on our Wii's and iPods and Gameboys. I mean if we are really worried about this, shouldn't we cover all the areas? It sounds like maybe fries just need an age restriction, like alcohol. Maybe if the parent chooses fries for their child, the worker should then shout at the parent "no food for you!" I'm just thinking there are lots of ways we can start punishing people for eating poorly. So, birthday cake? Nope, all the presents go back. We wouldn't want them thinking that a delicious cake is linked to gifts.

*Sigh* Where's my 20 acres out in the middle of nowhere where I can wash my laundry on a rock and draw my water from a well and avoid all the craziness we call "life"?

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Ditto and Amen!!! My sister and I were just talking about that yesterday. I hadn't heard about it before, but I think that is totally crazy!

Anonymous said...

AMEN! Gee, if "they" are going to keep the toys, why don't they keep the salt out? Please, make sure your land is big enough for me! Dacia

Krista Darrach said...

I loved the start of your post- ditto to how I feel. My husband is a crazy conservative republican and my parents are the EXTREME opposites. (I mean EXTREME!). So I just try to stay out of it.
I haven't heard about this NO toy if you get fries?????? WOW!!!
Nice rant... I love it.~
What is this world coming too.
Jeez!

Camille said...

Is there really a rule about whether you can get a toy or not? Crazy!