Tuesday, April 27, 2010

There May Be Hope

Today, the clouds parted a little and hope is on the horizon for the successful completion of High School for a kid who we thought it might not be possible. For years we have struggled to get him to pass his classes. Though most of his struggles are not entirely his fault, his effort leaves a little to be desired. I have counseled with many teachers and principals. I have started many batteries of test that never got completed for one reason or another. Usually because they talk me out of it. I have argued and pleaded and tried to take things into my own hands to help him to succeed. Up till now, we have barely kept him afloat. It's the time of year to get him registered for high school and all my doubts and fears come flooding back. How in the world is he going to survive?

I went in to talk with the counselor at the school and she was really helpful and sympathetic. She gave me a short list of things I can do to hopefully get him into resource classes or at least get a little extra help. It turns out I was talking to the wrong counselor (they go by alphabet) but she talked to the right one and got a little flag put on his file so she can try to make sure he doesn't fall through the cracks. While I was getting into my car after the meeting, both counselors came rushing out to the parking lot to flag me down. She mentioned that I should go make sure he is tested immediately for an IEP because even if he doesn't qualify, if he is borderline, they can do stuff for him. I have started this process twice and both times was talked out of it by his teachers. So I went ahead and got the ball rolling again and today, just one day later, the resource teacher at his school called me and got things set up to test him immediately! I sign the permission this afternoon. By the end of the year (which is in 4 weeks) we will know what they can do to help him next year. I'm SO excited. If it turns out that he doesn't qualify and really should be doing fine, even better...now I can bust his butt to get the work done and not feel like I'm being too hard on him. Either way, it will be such a blessing to have that done.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laurie, you are Top Mom! The effort you have put into all of your kids is an inspiration. Way to take control of the situation, and make it better for everyone. Dacia

Tammy said...

That is so great!

Leslie said...

This almost makes me cry. I know you care so much about his success, and I am so happy things are looking up!! I hope the IEP goes well and as much as I hate labels, sometimes having a diagnosis gets the HELP the kids need. Good luck...I'll pray too. :)