Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Can Children Kill You?

Question of the day. The good news is that I survived yesterday. Due to my own lack of motivation, I saved all the preparations for Pack Meeting for the day of. I always have stuff roaming around in my head, but never act on them until it's at a stressful point. I spent the entire morning filling out scout cards, organizing awards, making phone calls and gathering supplies for the events of the evening. By noon I was mostly ready with the exception of a trip to the store. Luckily for me, it was my "trade with Alicen" day so I got to do most of it without little ones around. After lunch, I put them down for naps and headed out to do my errands.

Whitley is still home sick. It's officially a week. I'm taking her to the doctor this morning, but I feel like it's a waste. We had her on antibiotics and it didn't do anything. I'm going with the flu at this point. Every time we think its looking up, she comes down with a 103 temp. At night, when I don't hear her coughing anymore, I get up to check on her to make sure she hasn't died. Kind of stressful.

After picking the kids up from school, I finished my preparations for scouts and took the boys with me to set things up. Since I never found my keys, I couldn't get in to the cabinets that hold everything I need for Pack Meeting. Totally panicking now. Just in the nick of time, someone with keys came to my rescue. I threw the rest of the things together in record time and headed home to feed my kids before I needed to leave again in 30 min. While I was gone, Katy happened.

Katy may be the death of me. Right before lunch, Whitley went outside to tell them it was time to eat and found her butt naked in the neighbors yard. The only thing I could glean from her was that she was "twirling" and I think she peed so she stripped down, but didn't feel like coming inside. Earlier in the day, she was upstairs naked playing with her dolls. She is testing her free will as well. Lot's of "no"s and grunts in response to any requests. She's had her bum paddled a few times lately. So while gone at scouts, she painted the hallway with nail polish and her face with permanent lipstick. She looks ridiculous. I had to just let it all be and head to scouts.

Scouts went extra long and we had a big crowd so it was a little chaotic, but I got through it and it was OK. My throat always hurts on this night from talking so much and straining to be loud enough. After it was over, we were cleaning up and just about ready to head out to another meeting when a little brother of one of the scouts fell and hit his head on the wall. I heard the 'boom' and went out to see. My first words were about to be.."shouldn't be running in the hall".. but when I saw the look on his brothers face, I changed my mind. The little guy had split his forehead open and was bleeding. I rushed him to the bathroom and sent the other for his mom. We cleaned him up and got the bleeding to mostly stop and she took him home.

Spent the rest of the evening trying to keep my eyes open through my next two meetings. I was so ready to go home. Not to mention, it was the last day on my diet and I was starving. Seriously hungry. The good news is that I lost 13 lbs in about a week. I'm definitely ready to stop thinking about it so much and just enjoy. I will do one more week in about a month or so and then I will be happy.

So, in retrospect, the day was not that traumatizing, but definitely more eventful than I would have preferred. Let's hope today is not a repeat!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Whitley - I hope she feels better soon. As for Katy - you had it "easy" with the rest of your kids. She is just making up for them! Take a deep breath and relax. She will outgrow the naked stage soon enough. Good job on the scout meeting; I'm sure you did a great job. Dacia

Krista Darrach said...

WOW. You're a marvel Miss Laurie.
Holy cow.....I don't know how you do it. But you're good at it... and you love it. That's what counts.
=) My hero.

Tammy said...

I sure hope Whitley starts feeling better soon! Being sick is no fun. Ahhh, the terrible 3's! So far the threes have always been worse than the 2's with my kids. I know that my view is a little skewed now, but reading all of this about Katy, makes me smile. I know it makes more work for you, but isn't it great to know that she is doing exactly what she should be for her age! She is a cutie! Congratulations on the weight loss. You look wonderful and scouts was great tonight! Amazing!

Camille said...

What a day! I too have had a loong day and am ready for it to end and start fresh tomorrow. It's nice to "chill" with some friends a little bit and feel normal. Thanks for your little blog. And good luck with Whitley. Sick kids are the worst.