Thursday, November 5, 2009

Training

I suck at follow through so hopefully I can actually keep up on something this time. We have decided to do a race called the Ragnar Relay. It's a 200 mile relay from Prescott to Phoenix. It's teams of 12 running for 24 - 36 hours straight, depending on your speed of course. Each team member has to run 3 legs ranging from 3 - 8 miles and vary in difficulty. I'm definitely the weak link on our team, but the experience should be fun. It's not till the end of February so I have time to get myself in better running condition, and that's going to take some commitment.

Last night, Glade, Julia and I went running outside and went 4.5 miles. I ran the first 2 without stopping and most of the last two, but with walking breaks. Unfortunately it was quite slow. It didn't help that I worked my legs the day before so they were already sore, but I have alot of work to do to get ready for a race this big. Of course we are doing the Turkey Trot in a few weeks and then my goal is a half marathon in January and then the Ragnar in Feb. That's a lot on my plate! Having others around me doing the same thing should be helpful in sticking to it.

I wanted to spend the entire morning canning all the meat I bought for cheap yesterday, but instead, spent it in the DR's office getting a physical for Rhett so he can do cross country at school. I hate all the forms and signatures and CYA crap you have to do. Totally makes me grouchy. So now my fridge is still crammed with meat that needs to be dealt with and I have a busy weekend coming up. Might take some late night canning - probably not though - I like to sleep.

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Wow, good for you. Good luck on the training!

Kathy said...

I have a co-worker who does that race and he said it is brutal. Apparently some of the legs are pretty steep. Everyone sleeps on the floor of a gym and showers there too. Not my kind of fun, but a great goal to work towards!!

Leslie said...

Are you doing the PF Chang 1/2 marathon in January?

I wish I was up for the challenge, but homeschool is taking a lot of energy these days.

Lulu said...

Oh man when you write it all out like that it sounds awful. One race at a time I guess! It will be a memory maker!