Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving

I can't believe how crazy these last four days have been! Wednesday the kids had a half day and I had planned on doing my errands all morning while they were gone, but got stuck baking rolls and canning chicken. Took longer than I planned. Went and picked up the kids, put the little ones down for naps and headed out to get my nails done. I had made an appointment, but they called and wanted me there early, great! Got there early and waited until the original appointment time. Not that big of a deal, but I hadn't done my necessary errands yet and now I was really pushing my time. Once my nails were done (very sparkly), I ran to Wal Mart, got what I needed and headed home. Finished putting together everything I needed to take for our Thanksgiving dinner and headed out.


We always do Thanksgiving on Wednesday with Glade's family. I had told his mom I would help set up, but didn't show up early and she wasn't very happy about that. We were able to get everything put together fairly quickly and all was well. The kids play and we sit and talk, always enjoyable. When I told Bo we were going there, his face lit up and he yelled "you mean the place that has white cheese with black spots?!?" My sister in law makes a killer cheese ball and he totally remembered that.


We were home by 10 and got everyone in bed pretty quickly. We were all up by 6 the next morning ready to run the Turkey Trot. This year it was Glade and me, plus Stephen, Nick, Rhett and Dalin for the 10K and Brooklyn ran the 2 mile fun run. It wasn't as cold as last year, and I was feeling pretty good about it. I'm pretty sure it was completely uphill! It was so hard for me this year. I had thought I must have missed the mile 4 sign because surely it had been more than a mile.....nope. After mile five I told myself I didn't care anymore. My legs were killing me and I was so tired. Of course, I kept running, but I was not happy about it. Finally the park was in sight and the end was near. Unbelievable, I only finished one minute faster than I did last year. Sucky, very sucky. Rhett beat the turkey, so he got a certificate. He ran it in 50:56. Nick did 55 and Glade was 101. I got 109 and Dalin was 117. Stephen mentally took himself out of the race and came in a long time later. Crying of course. Someday he has to learn to be stronger than his brain wants him to be. We won the turkey for most family members to finish. It was extra fun this year because lots of our friends joined us.




We made it home in time for showers and naps. While we were gone, Chelsey and Whitley were at home busily making some of the dinner. I had started the turkey before I left. Woke up and finished up dinner and we ate! The meal was really good and the table looked beautiful. It was really nice. As always, we went to the movies with the Garr's after dinner. We saw planet 51. It was ok, but definitely not Disney. All the adult humor was off color. I hate that. After the movie, they came over for dessert and the kids all played. I really long, really great day.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Sounds like a great long weekend! I'm so sad to hear about Planet 51. It looked like it might be a good one. I love your family Christmas picture!

Leslie said...

Love the picture, too. I was so happy to see you and Glade at the finish line. It was a long race & I can't wait till next year!