Tuesday, February 12, 2013

CERT Team

Our area has decided to put together a disaster management team.  The City has asked our Church to head up that team.  Because we have such a high concentration and a reputation for "taking action", we have been asked to join one of the squads they are creating.  I am so excited to be part of such a program.  The likelihood of ever needing to employ us is pretty low, but just to be a part of it is really neat.

There are four squads:

Recon: this squad will be the ones to assess damage, do search and rescue and then debris cleanup

Medical: obviously will perform the medical tasks related to an emergency situation.  They will be training us to the level of an  EMT (for free).

Shelter: This squad will be responsible for setting up the churches or schools to become refuges for those who are displaced.  We will feed, house and comfort those in need.

Ham Radio: this team will become certified in Ham Radio operations and be the communication between all the different authorities and other squads.

Glade signed up for  Recon and I for shelter.  I feel my talents best lie in organizing and comforting.  I was really torn about being on the Medical instead.  My trauma about the car accident I came upon a year or so ago has haunted me continually.  Had I had medical training would I have been so useless?  And yet, if I had, would I still have panicked and been useless anyway.  That thought is torturous.  So to get the medical training seems essential for me so I never have to be in that situation again, but what if I still suck?  The beauty of this program is that we can attend ALL the training!  I don't have to be on the medical squad, but I can receive all the exact same training so that in life, I'll have that knowledge... just in case.

It really is cool to live in a city that desires to be prepared, even though our threats are minuscule.  Even more cool that they would rely upon our church. ♥

No comments: