Sunday, January 6, 2013

Fever, Puke, Cough, Fever, Snot, Sore throat...

This has been the sickest winter our family has ever had.  We usually go through a brief round of something  but this year it's not been brief and it's not been something, it's been everything.  Bo had a fever off and on for a week.  His nose was so runny it was bloody and crusty most of the time.  Glade also had off and on fever and developed a really bad cough.  He even stayed in bed a while.  You know it's bad when Glade actually acts sick.  Those were the only two until....

Christmas morning I got a call from Whitley at 4:40 am.  I answered with a scolding that it was not yet 5 am so why was she calling me. She informed me that Brooklyn had puked and that she needed to come down so she could get all the smelly stuff out of her room.  Permission granted.  She threw up several times Christmas morning and felt much better by afternoon.  The next day everyone seemed to be fine.  We even went on an impromptu date to see Les Mis with a couple of friends.  We stopped off at Chipotle before the movie for a quick bite to eat.  The movie was pretty good and so was the popcorn!

That night, about 2 am Brooklyn brought a crying Katy to my room and said she had thrown up.  Dang it.  Well, I don't do puke so my fevered husband got up to take care of her.  Not 40 minutes later I was heaving Chipotle into the toilet.  I don't puke. Like ever.  I couldn't believe this was happening to me.  I laid in bed praying it would come out the other end, begging for no more puking.  That wasn't to be my lot.  I puked several more times over the next couple of hours.  My throat was raw and I was exhausted and frustrated.  Early in the morning, Whitley came down to tell me she had been puking for the last couple of hours.  She climbed in bed with me and she and I spent the entire day in bed watching movies.  We both had low grade fevers but were done puking.

Katy had apparently thrown up a few more times that night, but used the bowl and didn't come in to tell us.  As Whitley and I were laying in bed, we heard puking coming from the hall.  Dalin.  I called him in and he said he had been puking a lot of the night.  Later that day Stephen mentioned that he had thrown up at work the night before as well.  That afternoon I took Rhett to a friends house.  When I went to pick him up, he said he wasn't feeling well.  We weren't home an hour before he threw up.  Will it ever end??

That was the last of our puking, but now many are struggling with snot, coughing and sore throats.  Whitley even got so congested that her ear drum burst.  She had a fever and seeping from her ear for several days.  We took her to the doctor and they gave her some meds.  After almost a week of being down, she is finally up and around.  Ear still seeping and she's really tired, but over the worst of it.  Glade's cough continues to hang on, but the mucus and fever have gone.  Luckily for me, other than the puking and a sore throat for a few days after that, I'm good as gold.  No coughing, mucus, fever.. nothing.  I think that's how it's designed.  Things would not go well if I had been as sick as the rest!!

No comments: