Tuesday, January 29, 2013

A Good One

For whatever reason, some days are just better than others.  Days when everything just seems to fall into line.  I wish I knew how to duplicate those days to make sure ALL my days work out like that!  Today was one of those days.  Started off early because I was taking Stephen to retake his driving test.  I wonder if I've blogged about that?  Anyway.. Mom, Stephen and I arrived at the DMV just after 8 to find it was almost completely empty. When does that ever happen???  Stephen only needed to drive again so he got right through.  As we watched to see who got into the car with him, it was the same lady Nick had gotten who didn't take a single point off for all the infractions he had, just verbally warned him.  Yeah!!  He came in with a big smile instead of tears this time.  Whew, two more drivers in the house.  AND my Mom is so great to get up early and come sit at the DMV with me to keep me company.

Stephen and I left and went to Wal Mart to grab a few things and cash his check before I took him back to school.  We were also right next to Costco, but I couldn't figure out how to get through Costco, get Stephen to school and get Katy by the time she was done with school.  I kept formulating new plans but they all involved a second drive over to Costco.  Just when I had given in to not going today, my good friend Jenny called and asked if I needed to make a Costco run.  Umm, yes!!  She picked up Katy for me and met me at Costco after I dropped Stephen back at school.  Perfect.  We had a good trip, ate some pizza and used my rebate check to renew my membership and pay for a few extra things.   We got back just in time for naps.

As I was putting groceries away before laying down, I decided to go check on the chickens and let the puppies out.  As I walked through my yard with the weather just at the perfect temp of 55 degrees, I had this overwhelming feeling of satisfaction.  Fed my chickens, whistled for my pups, grabbed an orange from a tree and went back inside my self-designed home to put away my ample stock of food.  My life is pretty darn good.  Then as Katy and I laid down in my very awesome bed, she snuggled right up to me and planted a big kiss right on my lips.  Yep, pretty darn good.

Lots of times when I have a day like this, my afternoon goes awry.  Not today.  I took Katy to dance class, Stephen to work, ran a few errands, picked up Katy and went home for dinner.  Fixed a simple meal complete with a salad filled with veggies such as spinach, kale, tomatoes and carrots and didn't hear a single kid complain.  Ok, maybe one.  But they all ate it, we watched a show together and ended with chocolate chip cookies.  Did I mention pretty darn good??

I finished my night by going back to the store to use up some coupons I had.  I haven't clipped coupons for almost 2 months, but while shopping earlier, I noticed so many things on sale that I knew I had coupons for at home.  So after dinner I went through them, stuffed them in a folder (unclipped) and went back out.  I spent an hour roaming the isles, clipping coupons and filling my cart.  When all was said and done, I saved $50 JUST in coupons, not sale prices.  Seriously, $50!!!  AND, it wasn't on things like poptarts and cheezits.  Real stuff I already buy and use.  I got toothpaste, deodorant, hand soap, Rotel, pizza and Capri Sun for free!!  Gotta say... saving like that makes me feel a little giddy.  Awesome awesome day.  Makes me a little afraid for tomorrow...

No comments: