Sunday, October 25, 2009

Boom Chick a Boom

What a day Saturday was. Chocked full of activities pulling us in all different directions. The older kids had youth conference starting at 7 am doing a service project Saturday morning. All the kids had play practice at 10 am and the school carnival started at 12:30. That's actually just what time I needed to be there to set up the cake walk, it started at 1. The plan was for the kids to come home from play practice, eat and go to the carnival for one hour, come home and change and go to Branson's baptism at 3, but it was harder than I thought to get them away from the carnival. Glade ended up just taking Chelsey and Stephen to the baptism, Nick and Whitley were at the church for the rest of Youth conference and my mom and I had the others at the school. One crazy mixed up day!

At the carnival, they had a chicken chase. You catch it, you keep it. I have wanted chickens for quite some time but Glade has resisted. I figured now was as good of time as any! Bo, Dalin, and Rhett all caught a chicken and two others donated theirs to our cause. We had 5 chickens total, but someone stole one before we left the carnival so we came home with 4. Dalin also was able to catch the pig, but we didn't get to keep that...thank goodness! I ran the cake walk till we ran out of doughnuts then the kids just played the rest of the time. Bo wanted to buy a pumpkin cake and the bid was only at $2 so I let him bid on it. There was only about 10 minute left, so he wrote his name down and $3. We started to walk away and he told me he was going back to "protect" his cake. He went and stood in front of the cake until it was over. It was yummy.

Back to the chickens. We stopped at the feed store to get some food and that's where we found out they were broiler chickens, which means no eggs. They will get fat in a month or so and be ready to eat. Kind of a bummer. Now we have to mail order some hens that will give me eggs. Glade was very opposed to the whole chicken thing and told me I would be building my own coup. I told him that was fine as long as he didn't complain about what it looked like or where I put it. Obviously we couldn't get one done that day, so a friend agreed to house our chickens for a few days. We decided to go to dinner before we took the chicks over and while there, another friend calls us and tells us they have an extra coup we could use! Who has an extra chicken coup laying around??? I'm so glad you did Clayton's, we are more grateful than you know! We went over and loaded it up and now our chickens have a real home. Glade is warming up to the idea of chickens now that he doesn't have to build a coup. It's a really nice one too, they will be safe from the coyotes. I'm gonna take care of them on my own *evil laugh*. It was an exhausting day with a happy ending.


The kids Love the chicks!


They are at a weird inbetween stage of growing their feathers so they don't look so good right now.

Coup de' Smith


2 comments:

Tammy said...

...only the Claytons would have an extra chicken coop laying around! =) Glad it's working out for you though! Oh, and thanks for getting it out of our backyard for me!

Leslie said...

That's a nice looking coop! Sorry you have to buy your own layers. If you want to get ones that are older and almost ready to lay (I think chicks take a year) we got ours from Mark Tingey for $10 each.