Sunday, November 24, 2013

Sad News

Since Nick left on Halloween, we hadn't heard a lot from him.  We would text every few days and he came over once.  He was invited to Sunday dinner and said he would come, but never showed up.  We continued to text, but this time there was no response.  We called... straight to voicemail.  After two weeks of this, we started to become a little worried.  So I called his work and found out that he hadn't been there in two weeks, nor had he picked up his last pay check.  The boy he was staying with (co worker) told the boss that he wouldn't be back and when asked what was going on, the kid just said "I can't talk about it."  I then went to his bank to see if there had been any activity on his account.  They were very accommodating, but there wasn't much to go on.  I didn't realize he had never closed the account he had that I was still on.  In checking his history, he had spent all the money he had in some strange ways.  I was very nervous for what we might now find. 

In my mind, there were only two options for keeping Nick away from his phone and his money.  Neither was good.  Glade was doing some checking as well and finally located him in a jail in Phoenix.  That was better than where my mind had gone.  He has been there for two weeks already and will be arraigned this coming Tuesday. 

In doing a little more research we were able to find out what his charges are.  Not good.  Keeping in mind we have no idea what actually happened, he has six counts pending against him all surrounding sexual misconduct with a minor and molestation of a minor.  After overcoming my shock I did a little more research and found out the molestation charge applies if the person is under 14.  Ironically, that afternoon, we received a letter from Nick in the mail telling us that he was in jail.  He couldn't talk about why, but just told us he was sorry and that he would likely be going to prison.  Glade went and visited him the next day, but again, wasn't really able to talk about it with him.  So for now, we know very little about what happened or when or anything.  My mind and heart just won't believe he hurt a young child.  He's always been so sweet with the little ones (in a good way).  But for now, I have to believe he was under the influence and made bad choices with a girl who was too young.  There are no assault charges so that is good.  Hopefully Tuesday we can have more questions answered.  As for now, it appears he will be there awhile.  He will be a registered sex offender the rest of his life.

I totally did not see that one coming.  You could have convinced me of a lot of things, but I wouldn't have guessed this.  So absolutely heartbreaking and senseless.  Not sure the reality of it all has completely set in yet, but there is some relief in knowing he his safe.  As much as I know kicking him out was the right decision, the not knowing on a daily basis if he was ok, was a little tough.  I have no idea  how he can overcome all of this and have a happy future.  Right now, time has kind of stopped for him.  I guess we'll just have to see what happens the next couple of years. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm soooo sorry. At least you have peace, knowing where Nick is, but still have worry about how he will end up. I love you, my friend. Dacia