Saturday, July 30, 2011

Romantic at Heart

Not that this is new news, but I've always had a little love for the farm life, pioneer life even.  The songs about front porches and fields being plowed have always put me in a wistful state.  A little funny since I don't particularly enjoy being outside or doing things the hard way.  But, it does stir me.  I always get a little crazier when I read the Work and  the Glory books as well (which I currently am).  Today as I walked through my yard, I had a great sense of gratitude for my "land".  It's only an acre, hardly "land"... but it's mine.  No fences, except for the chicken coop, no street lights, lots of green (for AZ), not much traffic...  Glade and the boys are out filling in the garden with new dirt so we can start planting here in a week or so.  A small storm blew in and cooled things off a smidge, just enough for it to be tolerable outside.  The chickens were out and about pecking away.  Kids bikes lay strewn about in the driveway.  Katy perched atop a small tractor watching her dad and brothers shoveling away.  Not to mention clouds just seem to make everything look prettier.  It's nice to enjoy where you are!

No comments: