Friday, December 3, 2010

Turkey Trot 2010

That time of year again, our annual trip to the Turkey Trot in Mesa. I made all the kids go, but let them choose which race they wanted to do. It was quite chilly and a little breezy to start. Once you got moving, it felt a little warm. Chelsey and Katy ran the 1 mile together and Nick and Bo ran the two mile. Everyone else ran the 10k (6.2 miles). I was so proud of the little ones for being willing to try! I asked Chelsey to get pictures of everyone at the end and she mostly did a good job. She didn't manage to catch either her mother or father or Dalin, but most of the rest.

This was an especially exciting year for me. I have been running so much and have improved a lot since last year so I was really hoping for a good time. My goal was to beat an hour. Last year I ran 1:09. It was a rough start with so many people that it's hard to get a pace and stay with it. I finally decided to run up on the dirt or on the sidewalk so I wouldn't get slowed down. I'm so happy to say that I reached my goal. Not only did I reach it, but I got 57:27!! That is 9:20 min miles. I couldn't have been happier. Now it makes for a lofty goal next year, but for now I will just enjoy the moment!



Katy and Chelsey waiting to start.

This was about our 5th try at a picture and Dalin was not feeling it.


And they're off!


I was disappointed that Nick wouldn't run, but glad he was available to go with Bo for the 2 mile.

This is the best - Katy ran the whole thing! AND she did it in 13 min and something. I was so excited for her. Chelsey didn't think it was so great since she really planned on walking.


Christian, my good friend's husband

Whitley ran for the first time this year. She pooped out at 4 miles. She finished, but struggled for the last couple.

This was also Jenny's first year and she did GREAT!
Mom's first year and she even decided to try to run for a bit despite her bad hip. Very exciting!
We didn't see Steve at the start but knew he wouldn't miss it.

Stephen did much better than last year. Came in with a smile!


Jana had a really rough start, but she finished and has no idea what her time was. Bummer.

Little Brooklyn made it the whole way! I didn't think she would finish, but she did. What a girl!
We all had a great time and I'm so glad it's become part of our holiday tradition. It's a wonderful way to start the day. Now we all have times to shoot for next year.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I love that you do that every year. Great tradition, and congrats on the time.

Tammy said...

That is so great! I love that Katy ran the whole thing. That is amazing!

Leslie said...

It's so fun to see you there on Thanksgiving, especially since you're one of the people I'm most thankful for in my life. I'm happy it's a new family tradition for us. Thanks for getting a picture of Christian. We didn't take a single picture the whole day.