Wednesday, December 15, 2010

It Comes

Well this is going to be a soppy, spiritual post so be prepared. I don't normally post these types of personal feelings but today I must. I'm very sure words will not do my gratitude justice, but I'm going to try anyway. For starters, Glade and I fasted for a small miracle a couple of weeks ago and our prayer was heard. Then upon returning from my fantastic trip, I realized how absolutely wonderful my little family is. I guess sometimes absence does make the heart grow fonder!

Yesterday was one of the best. Our kids had a mutual activity planned in which they created a mock MTC (Mission Training Center). They came in their Sunday best and were treated like new missionaries. Of course I knew they would have fun, buy my prayer was that a certain teenage boy would actually feel something while he was there. So far he hasn't shown a lot of love for spiritual things and it saddens me. Well, he came home from the activity and came to tell me how it went. (that in and of itself is a miracle!) He said this: "Wow! I mean.. wow! I expected it would be fun, but in the last class with the Sister Missionaries....I FELT the Spirit!!" He was gushing, he stood in my doorway and bore his testimony for the first time that he had felt it and "wow!". He then said he wished he had brought a friend. I remember my beginnings in the church and when you "feel" that, you just want to share it. I couldn't have been happier.

Then Whitley came down and was telling about her night and how they were encouraging them to be missionaries. She said she had had a friend in mind that she felt she should talk to but didn't really think he would be interested. Finally she said a prayer, texted him to see if he wanted to go look at the lights at the Temple with them and he said "yes". She was elated! BTW, this boy has a girlfriend, nothing flirty going on. To see that fire in them and their faith grow in that very moment is so inspiring.

Lastly, and this is the cutest. To make a really long story short, our neighbors dog was stuck in our yard cuz he's old and couldn't get up. His owner came to get him and take him home. We all went inside to finish getting ready for school. I yelled for Katy so we could leave and she came out of my room saying "I was in the bathroom giving a blessing." Confused, I asked what for, she said for Callie (the dog) to get her leg better and for Uncle Kent. How sweet is she? The beautiful part of this is that she was in my bathroom. ONE time she walked in on me saying my prayers in the bathroom. ( I like to do it after my shower when the kids already know not to bother me) She asked what I was doing and when I told her I was saying my prayers, she asked why. I told her I like to talk to Heavenly Father and that was the end of it. And when she felt the need to pray, she went to where she saw her mommy doing it. How absolutely humbling that is.

What I really want to point out is that it works. The teaching, the reading, the doing....at some point, it all comes together. Some take longer than others and sometimes comes in pieces, but it does come.

3 comments:

Dacia said...

Amen!

Heather said...

Great post and great reminders that we as parents are the example. Thank Laurie I needed that today. Ü

Leslie said...

Aww...I'm so glad you share this kind of stuff. You have great kids.