Monday, December 27, 2010

My New Beginnings

A couple of months ago, the church eliminated my calling Church wide. I was the Activities Chairman for the ward. I was responsible for planning and carrying out activities for the ward. I was very excited about some of the things I had planned for next year and a little bummed when I found out I wasn't going to get to do them. They asked me to continue on until after the Christmas party and then they would release me.

I knew a new calling was on the horizon and was at a point where I really didn't care what they called me to do. Now, I would never say no, but how happy one over another would make me is a different story! I really didn't care at this point. Of course my mind wandered here and there about what it would actually be, but I haven't had a whole lot of time to think about it, it's Christmas after all! Once the party was over, my mind started to think a little more about it and one particular calling kept coming to mind.

I pushed it out immediately because it's so far out of my comfort zone, but it kept coming back. I tried to convince myself I was just worrying about it but really knew it wasn't a possibility. The Lord must have known I would need a little advance warning and confirmation that this is what He wants me to be doing right now. Last week I got the phone call "Can we come meet with you?"

While out running the morning I was to meet with him, I couldn't get it out of my head. Sure enough, that night I heard the words "We would like you to be the new Laurel Advisor". This is a calling that puts me with the 16 and 17 year old girls. Yes, that includes my own sweet Whitley. If you don't already know, I barely like teenagers. That's Glade's gift, not mine. I get all weird and insecure and annoyed when I spend much time with them. I guess it's time for me to grow.

Whitley and I had discussed it before the call even came because I wanted to make sure if that's what it was, that she would be ok with it. She said as long as I didn't act like her "mom", she was great! We had a really great heart to heart about some of the struggles she has been having and when I commented that there must be some reason I'm supposed to be in this calling right now, she said "maybe He knew I needed you." I'm gettin all teary again. I love her and am so excited to get to be with her.

I believe He knows us each individually and knows our needs and our weaknesses and has a plan just for me. Without this knowledge, I'm not sure I could do this calling right now. Because I know it, I will do my best to love these girls and be the kind of leader I had as a 17 year old. My heart warms when I think of Carleen, Joy and Sis Parker....the times they let us just hang out at their homes being silly girls. Truly blessings in my life. I hope I can be that to someone as well. So with a very humble heart and butterflies in my tummy I start my new beginnings with the Laurels.

6 comments:

Whitney said...

You will be great! So excited:)

Tammy said...

That is very exciting! You will do a great job with the girls. Don't you just love those times when the spirit "prepares you" for what is coming. The time of the preparing can be a little nerve racking, but it sure is nice to know that the Lord really is in charge and you are now right where you should be! No questions about it! You and those girls are very lucky! I'll miss having you in RS though!

Anonymous said...

You are going to do a wonderful job in your new calling! It will only bring you and Whitley closer.
Dacia

Leslie said...

I'm really excited for you. We really did have fun leaders. I know now how much they really worried about us and how much they hoped we knew that they loved us!

Jake and Jenny said...

Like you said, now we do have a calling in common! Yeah! You are so awesome, and will be such a great advisor!

Lulu said...

I can't say I hadn't considered kicking and screaming being released from that calling... but I settled for shedding a few tears with the knowledge that you are AMAZING and will love it. I will miss your family. Every. Last. One of you.