Thursday, May 6, 2010

Home


Home is where the heart is. True statement. There's no place like Home. True Statement. The most sacred place after the Temple is Home. True statement. Some days home is where I need an escape from, but most days its the best place in the world. It's only in quiet moments that it can truly be appreciated. Today I had a few of them and they filled my heart with gratitude. I have been given the opportunity to speak in church on Sunday regarding Motherhood and the legacy I wish to leave. It's made me very reflective and thoughtful. As I sat outside babysitting the chickens (we are still having issues), I watched as two boys played a ball game on the tramp. The genuine laughter, the tackling....it made me smile. This morning I spent most of my time working on my own mother's gift for Sunday. The feelings of service and doing for those you love is so fulfilling. To set dinner down before your children as they gather around noisily and watching big ones help little ones, it's rewarding. To hear the giggle of a little blond with dimples as she sneakily walks by you and the unexpected tackle by a five year old who just wants to plant a big kiss on your cheek and tell you he loves you, worth it. Receiving a text from a daughter who can't wait to tell you her good news or just to check in because she's bored, lovely. A son who won't leave your presence without giving you a kiss and still likes to hold your hand while sitting close, heart warming. A husband who goes anywhere you want him to and never complains and puts my wants before his, well... I feel a little guilty about that one, but what an example.

We live in a beautiful house with plenty of nice things, but it's not our house that makes it desirable, its family. Each person contributing, making a house a home. Being the creator of such a family is awesome. I don't mean that in an 80's sort of "awesome", but literally awesome. How did God look upon me and think I could be trusted with such an amazing responsibility? It's something I will never feel quite worthy of, but completely grateful and forever humbled by.

I'm not trying to paint a rosy picture of this perfect world of which I live, we all know better. For everything there is an opposite. BUT, if we don't stop and breathe in the reality of our blessings and tuck them deep in our hearts, the good things will fade. The hard things will seem harder and the negative will flood in. Life is busy and trying and sometimes down right messy and unpleasant, but for the few moments of beauty and peace and love......I wouldn't trade a thing.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Awwww! That was so sincere and heartwarming. Thanks for posting it.

I'd love to come hear your talk on Sunday. I bet you're gonna cry. :)

Krista Darrach said...

That was beautiful. Well said, Well done. And as always - you're such an inspiration to me.
You'll do great on Sunday- just wish I could come and listen.
:)

Anonymous said...

Your house is truly a home! I love to be there when Glade brings the kids in - all the laughing, hugs and kisses for everyone. What a warm feeling it is.

Tammy said...

So true. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait until Sunday!

The Wired Journal said...

You just touched my heart and brought a smile to my face. Thanks