Saturday, May 17, 2014

Mother's Day

So I'm going to just put it out there in all my raw, honest ways.  I hated Mother's Day this year. It wasn't because my family wasn't sweet and lovely, they were.  Gifts and flowers, home made stuff and breakfast.  On a normal holiday I would have loved it.  This year, I was too busy being a mom to enjoy the weekend.  AND I was a little bitter about all the activities that were planned for that weekend. I don't need to be pampered and showered with attention for a whole weekend, but I also don't appreciate being run ragged either.

For starters.  Fathers and Sons camp out.  I will NEVER understand why anyone thinks mother's day weekend is a great weekend for this.  I gotta get everyone packed and then spend the next 2 days taking care of things as the sole parent.  My kids are bigger now, so it's not a big deal, but when you have little ones, it kind of sucks.  Normally we do some kind of fun girls night, but this year, Rhett's dance teacher decided to have a four night dance performance.  Seriously??  So Friday was the only day I had available to attend.  Friday was actually a very good day.  Mom, Chelsey and I went to see a movie in the morning and basically spent the whole day together.  Then that evening, Mom, all the daughters (and son in laws) and I all went to Texas  Roadhouse for dinner.  We went early so mom and I could get to the performance.  Now, I will say that it was a surprisingly enjoyable performance, but that's another post.  And it was a great day because I got to spend the whole day with my own Mom.


Chelsey's gift to me.. it says "missionary mom"

Brynlee couldn't get enough green beans

Whitley and Nick had to join us late because of work


Saturday we had play practice and then home to get dinner ready for Prom.  I love doing that for my kids, but it was just one more thing on this particular weekend.  We cleaned and decorated and I helped get both boys ready to go.  After serving dinner, Glade and I and our friends, the Kettrings, were banned to the front living room so the kids could have privacy.  I enjoyed that, but it wasn't exactly a date night.

Sunday, the big day.  Awoke to breakfast and showering of gifts.  But by now I was just grouchy and still had a lot on the agenda.  After church Glade and the boys unloaded all the camping stuff which ultimately leaves me a lot of work.  Not to mention I was trying to get my house clean so Glade's family could all come over for a BBQ.  No nap today because my kids are only noisy when I ask them to be quiet.  The family all came and it was nice. Truly, I LOVE  my inlaw family.  But after it was over, there was the clean up.  I saved that for the next morning.  So even the next day, I spent the whole morning getting my house back to livable.  I haven't even mentioned church (yet another post) or the two wedding receptions we missed.  So  basically it was just a stinky weekend.  I'm sure I could have changed my attitude and handled it better.  It didn't really seem possible in the moment though.  I told Glade that next year was consisting of me in my PJ's eating mac and cheese.  Here's to being a Mom, the very thing that kept me from enjoying Mother's Day.

No comments: