Saturday, September 15, 2012

Somethin About a Truck

Lately I have been easily irritated by the world.  I hate what it says to my family about how things should be. Last night I heard  Somethin About a truck and it just really set me off.  The entire "story" of this song is how all he needs is a girl in a dress with a beer, a kiss that leads to more and skinny dipping in the creek at 2 am cuz your too drunk to care.  Wow.  Really?  The amount of times I hear the phrase "white tank top and cut off shorts" is bewildering.  I know music has most often had questionable messages, but I feel like the message I hear most is "drink a lot and look sexy".  I guess there's no question, then, why our daughters are running around showing as much skin as possible.  The radio tells them that's what makes a man happy.  Then get drunk with him, he's sure to like you!  Seriously freaks me out.  Maybe I'm just old, I know every generation of parents thinks their kids music is "of the devil".  I listen to some of the songs from my youth and am shocked by how naughty they are.  I never knew.  I think the difference is, is that those songs mostly used a lot of innuendo and made more subtle suggestions.  The songs today are blatantly saying very simple, seemingly harmless things, like wear a tank top and short shorts.  No big deal there.  Now throw in a dance on the tailgate, put a beer to your lips, lean the seat back, and oh my goodness,  "blow my whistle"!  Aaahhh!!  I haven't even gone into the really  naughty stuff that's just right in your face, like "boobies like pow pow pow".

Did I mention the fact that this freaks me out?  Let me just also add that the music part of these songs are super fun. Of course they are desirable.  I've also noticed that our love songs are mostly about sex as well.  Oh how I miss the sweet songs about missing your smile, or watching you sleep.  Now I just hear, let's just stay home and have sex all day, then you'll know how much I love you.  Or, "does it turn you on at all...".  Super romantic words there.  What happened to love and commitment and romance?  Sweetness and innocence?

When my 18 year old daughter reported her first kiss recently, it was met with a little skepticism.  No one goes that long without kissing.  I think I even heard one mention that by that age, they've all had sex and if they say they haven't, they're lying.  It's just common consensus among the world that random sex with whomever is just normal and acceptable.  I even read an article that encouraged it so you can experiment with what YOU like.  I give total props and a sincere "way to go" to any of those teens who make it through this mess of a world in one piece.  Sex and alcohol are not harmless and normal.  They are dangerous and life altering.  Who's singing about that?

PS, funny post after my recent one about how much I love music Ü

1 comment:

The Spratt's said...

Hi Laurie!
I'm totally a stalker on your blog ! I love it! (I grew up the next street over from Glade's family so I'm not a complete stranger)

I heard this song the other day from Big and Rich and thought it fit your post today so I decided to share :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjJyZfDCa88

Stephanie (Kellis)