Sunday, December 1, 2013

Thanksgiving Weekend

Thanksgiving Day started early as usual, Turkey Trot Time!  I almost canceled it because I was not prepared, but decided that was selfish.  So I went into with no intent of getting a good time, just finishing.  We saw lots of friends there, as well as both Chelsey and Whitley came out and ran the short distances with Bo and Katy.  Grandma couldn't walk this time due to her hip, so she was the designated finish line girl.

 Brooklyn was there, but she had run off with some friends and didn't end up in the picture, woops.



Katy took off and left Chels and Spencer in the dust.  I was so proud of her for giving it her all.  Bo raced Whitley and she took him right at the finish line.  They ran 8 1/2 minute miles!  Glade beat the time he was shooting for as well.  Rhett finished in 42 min which is his PR and beat our good friend Jake.  He came in 6th in his age group.  Dalin finished in  51 min which is so awesome for him!  Brooklyn, Stephen and I pulled up the rear.  After about 2 1/2 miles, I knew Stephen was not prepared to go the full 6.2 so I sent him back to the park (a short walk from where we were).  That left me and Brooklyn.  I pulled a Jillian on her and pushed her the next 4 miles.  We had tears and whining and she even sat down at one point.  This is where a police officer asked her if she needed a cart to come get her.  I assured him she was fine and we got moving.  We finished 7 minutes faster than her best time.  She wasn't super happy...yet, but I was so glad to be done!  Later she thanked me for pushing her and was excited about what she had accomplished.  We always go to Circle K after and get drinks, tradition.

After showers and some cleaning up, we got to work on dinner.  Mom and two of her friends, Yen and Daniel, joined us for dinner.  Everything turned out delicious and we were stuffed.  We sat around and talked for quite some time before they left and the ominous decision of shopping loomed near.

This year all the Black Friday Door Buster things started at 5pm on Thanksgiving.  I swore I would not shop!  But here I was all done with dinner, guests gone and nothing to do!  Mom was my hero and stopped on her way home to get the one thing that was really going to save me money.  Chelsey and I ventured out about 8 to get a few things at Kohl's and walmart.  I was home by 10.  The next morning, Mom, Chelsey, Whitley, Jenny, Melanie, Tracie and I all met for breakfast and then headed out for a full day of shopping.  I got almost everything done and, of course, love spending time with some of my favorite people. ♥

Because we had family in town, Glade took all the kids to Amazing Jake's to spend time with them.  I met them later and was like a zombie the whole time I was there.  So. Tired.  But the kids had a great time and we weren't just sitting at home.  Great day!

The next day, Saturday I think, days tend to get mixed up when you are doing so much... We had a baptism in the morning and then spent a couple of hours getting out Christmas stuff.  Mom came to help and she and Brooklyn made a yummy dessert while Katy and I sorted through Christmas decorations.  I always think it will be fun to do it with the kids, but it ends up stressing me out instead.  I HAVE to remember next year to get it all done while they are at school and then let them decorate the tree later.  We still don't have it all up, but hopefully we'll get it finished today.


That afternoon we were crazy enough to venture out to the movies with friends to go see the new Disney movie, Frozen.  We got there an hour early and were at the end of the line for that showing so we traded in for the next showing and got fairly close to the front of the line.  The kids all did great and even Glade came and made it through without too much grumbling.  We went with the Kettrings, Garrs, Mom and Chelsey.  We had a pretty large group!  We all really liked it and came away with lots of fun quotes.  



After the movie, we took kids home, picked up pizzas and went to the Kettrings for a little adult time.  The Johnson's came over too so it was a nice night of chilling and recovering from all the activity this weekend.  I'm so blessed to have so many great friends and the seriously best family ever!!

No comments: