Sunday, August 18, 2013

If someone told you to jump off a cliff, would you??

If someone told you to jump off a cliff, would you??

Apparently for Nick, the answer would be YES.  While at the beach this summer, a few of the other boys who were with us started jumping from high places.  Nick held off for a while but could eventually not resist.  The first time he did it, I was unaware.  I was told he did it and landed right on his belly.  When he came over to where I was, I said these exact words to him "I'm not taking you home broken!!".  Well he went right back up and did it again.  I was actually trying to get a picture of the cliff to send to Glade and tell him what Nick had done when I realized he was up there again.  I take responsibility for not yelling for him to get down immediately.  Not that I'm sure it would have done any good, he didn't even hesitate up there before he lept off again.  I tried to at least get a picture since my phone was up already, but he did it so fast I only got him landing.  According to other witnesses and the video he has of this stunt it was a pretty sweet flip.


But then came the landing.  In the video you can hear it crunch.  Then the hulk growl started as he realized the pain.  His ankle was in a very unnatural position and I couldn't look.  Luckily for me the other kids Dad was there and took charge.  They helped him up to camp where a lifeguard wrapped him up and put ice on it then made us sign a release.  I then took him to urgent care where they said they really couldn't help us.  It was too bad for what they could do.  So we headed back to camp with some fresh ice packs.
Again, luckily for me...our friends were heading home that same day.  We weren't supposed to leave till the next day.  So they drove him home and Glade took care of it once he got there.  The same doc that took care of  Rhett's arm agreed to see him the next day so we were able to escape the emergency room bill.

In the end, he ended up with surgery ten days after the incident, 2 metal plates and lots of screws.  Two nice scars on both sides of his ankle and another 3 months with crutches.  His ankle will probably never be the same and they said he will eventually develop arthritis in his ankle.  Oh, the choices we make.







No comments: