Sunday, August 19, 2012

My other home

I have posted about home before, but this is about my other home.  The place that no matter how old you get or how many houses you live in, it will always be considered "home".  I grew up in IL, moved when to AZ when I was sixteen.  It was a tough move, but one that has done wonders for my life.  Though I'm so happy to be where I am, it's always nice to experience "home".  On a bit of a whim and weird circumstances, I decided to go home for Christmas this year.  I did the same thing two years ago and had such a wonderful time.  Mom and I talked it over and tried to figure out the best plan, but nothing official had been done.

This week we made it official.  Airline tickets purchased.  The strangest thing happened within minutes of booking our flight.  I got so emotional, like actual tears.  I'm going home!  I'm tearing up right this very minute thinking about it.  I have no idea why it's affected me like this.  I guess you don't realize how much you love and miss your family till the reality of actually being with them again hits.

When I posted on FB about going home and then Gramma B posted a comment, it just set me off.  I get to hug my gram again!  Sheesh, here I go again.  I had to go outside and show Glade the actual tears running down my cheeks so he could know how much it meant to me for him to let this happen.  He, of course, didn't really get it and all the boys were asking "what's wrong?"  When I told them I was just so happy, Glade reminded them that I was a girl and that we are different from them.  Don't ask.

I will be going with only my mom.  For a short explanation on why I love this, other than it's just too expensive to fly my whole family out there, is this: My family (husband and kids) don't know my family like I do.  Sure, they enjoy going back and seeing everyone, but it's not the same.  They get bored and restless easily.  When I just go by myself, I get to spend time with all of my relatives having real conversations and staying up late and playing without having to cater to the needs of my kids.  Although it's only 4 days, it's a very meaningful and funfilled four days of reconnecting with my family.  And then add some Christmas into the mix and you have a perfect combination!

2 comments:

trublubyu said...

home is awesome. can't wait to hear how it will be for you. prolly a lot like that "christmas morning" you mentioned today.

Leslie said...

I'm excited for you! And I LOVE how sentimental you are. I swear...the more I cry at things, the more I think it's gratitude just overflowing right out of my eyes. :)