Sunday, January 22, 2012

Another Year, Another Car, Another Pity Party


Dalin got really lucky that he managed to squeeze in 4 years of pinewood derby.  This year his car was really cool looking.  Somehow I didn't end up with a picture of it by itself.  Anyway, all our derby's start out like this..  smiling, excited, happy Dalin.

Then there's about 4 or 5 of these.. super close races.. some good, some not. 



This year Dalin's car got slower each time it raced.  But he was holding it together pretty well.  I think getting to press the button helped alleviate the sorrow of not being the winner a little.



But in the end, this is how Dalin looks every year when it's over.  I wish I hadn't removed all my old pictures from my computer.  I could have pulled up three other pictures that look just like this one.  I took him outside to try and comfort him.  This is our typical conversation.

Me: Dalin, it's Ok. Did you have fun?  That's what it's about, having fun.
Dalin: *sniff* yeah
Me: You don't look like a kid having fun.  Dalin, how many winners are there?
Dalin: one
Me: How many losers?
Dalin: everyone else
Me: It's really no big deal, you're car was awesome! 
Dalin: *sniff* *sulk* *sniff*
Me: So quit thinking about it and go see what they brought for treats.
Dalin: ok

I'm a really bad loser, but Dalin really takes the cake.  No, it wasn't cake... I think they served popcorn.  Ü

No comments: