Sunday, August 22, 2010

Counting the Days

Right now I'm living day by day. Somehow a whole lot got crammed into one week. Thursday was my first canning class. A few of my friends helped convince me this would be good. I was really nervous, I've only been canning about a year and I'm a little of a rebel when it comes to following the rules. Anyway, nine gals showed up and we learned how to do fruit. It was awkward at first and I have a hard time staying on track, but I think it turned out good in the end. I will feel successful if one girl gets a bug for canning and being self sufficient. Next week we are doing meat and jam.

Stephen's baseball meeting was that night. We paid for him to do fall ball so he would have a chance come spring. This has been a real challenge for him to be the little fish in a big pond. He's been very frustrated and down on himself questioning whether or not he should have done it. They have been divided into two teams now and most of his friends are on the same team so that's helpful. Let's just hope he can give it his all and have fun in the end.

After, we went to watch the kids roadshow practice. It's very cute and I'm excited to see it finished. Rhett struggled in his normal "weird way". I hope this gets easier for him as he gets older. While there, Chelsey called and wanted permission to stay out all night with her friends. Now, they would be at a house, but they wanted to stay up all night before one of them left the next day. I told her no, it wasn't a friendly exchange. The next day was her last day here and she had a lot to do. It just didn't make sense. We both hung up mad. I finally came to the conclusion to let her suffer her own consequences and let her make her own choices. I did inform her though that I had stuff to do and wouldn't be rearranging my plans to fit hers once she decided she was too tired to get up. By the time I decided this, she decided she was coming home anyway. Grrrrr, parenting is hard.

1 comment:

back to basics said...

Keep up the canning, build a library of to do things. harvesting is coming soon now. Keep up the good work