Friday, October 18, 2013

A Miracle



Ok, I know I have posted a lot about Rhett lately, but if you knew him 5 years ago you would understand.  Yesterday we found out he was nominated for Homecoming Royalty.  I have no idea how their school does things so I'm really not sure what info I can give.  BUT, that he got nominated is huge.  Let me tell you why.

 Two years ago I took him on his 8th grade trip to Disneyland and I was the chaperon for his group.  It was a group of three misfits, not welcomed into any of the other groups.  Some groups were made up of up to 5 or 6 kids.  Most groups were chosen by friends who wanted to be together.  I was a little surprised and saddened to see my cute boy put with this strange group, when he wasn't even actually friends with either boy.  I was even more saddened when I would see Rhett reach out to different groups and they would say Hi, then turn there back to him.  Never once invited to go with them.  Why can't they see him like I see him?  Or like the kids from the theater see him.  Is he really that weird at school?  He's always been a little on the odd side, I'm aware of that.  But this?  Rhett has spent most of his life being either hot or cold, happy or sad, really sad.  Like, the whole school hates me  kind of sad.  It was very challenging to deal with and even a little scary sometimes.  Was he going to be the crazy kid who people would say things like "he was just really quiet" about when something happened?

Well things turned around his freshman year.  We made the decision to send him to a small high school that was fairly new, instead of the big public school our other kids went to.  What a difference.  The first day we went there to register, he walked in the door and 3 different people yelled "Rhett!"  and came to talk to him.  Then he proceeded to do well in school, find a niche in cross country and track and have a few good friends.  Here we are a year later and he's a happy kid, rarely do I ever see that "poor me" side of himself come out.  No tears and comments like "I suck" or "everyone hates me".  He's happy.  And successful.  And DOing things.  And now he's nominated to something kinda cool.  My excitement isn't because my kid seems to be popular, but because finally people see him like I do.  Because he finally sees himself as worth something.  We weren't sure that would ever be part of who he was.  He isn't fully there yet though, when talking about the nomination, he said it's really just a popularity contest.  Right.  Well I only got on there because I know a lot of people from my classes.  Not popular like so and so.  It took me pointing out that everyone knows a lot of people from their classes, but they chose you because they LIKE you.  For now he's still very humble about his successes, and hopefully we can keep it that way,  But right now, I just want him to bask in something he's never before experienced.  Enjoy having friends and liking himself.  I love that boy and have always been able to see such great things in him, but I couldn't make him see it.  Couldn't get him to TRY.  And finally it's happening.  So forgive me while I gush and brag.... a miracle has happened...and my heart is full because of it. ♥

No comments: