Friday, March 22, 2013

Dear Crossfit Friends

To my Crossfit friends (of which I have many Ü): This is not a blanket statement, I'm aware you can't lump all people into one big group.  BUT, I just wanted to let you all know the impression some are giving to those not of your "faith".  Crossfit is a new fad that has swept some parts of the country.  (my peeps in IL hadn't even heard of it).  I only call it a fad cuz it's too new to see if it has longevity.  I love the passion you all have for it!   I can see the wisdom in parts of it even.  Sometimes it even looks fun.  I see people toning and tightening from their time spent there.  But you've started to become an elitist group.  At first it was just excitement about this newfound thing and you talked to everyone you knew about how exciting it is.  Awesome!  But now the things I hear are quite condescending and sometimes just downright rude.

What set me off today was a comment a friend made who has just started crossfit and loves it.  He apparently is out of town and did a makeshift workout at the hotel workout room.  He mentioned they looked at him like he was weird and then made the comment "that's ok, just keep pedaling fatties".  So rude.  My point here is that crossfit is not the ONLY way to get in shape.  It might even be the best, who knows.. but it's not the only way.  Before crossfit became all the rage, a lot of people lost a lot of weight and did great things with their bodies.  I've also heard many disparaging remarks toward runners.  Like we are in competition.  Things like "runners are stupid, they just don't get it.  What a waste of their time".  There are plenty of studies out there showing that running/walking are the best ways to be heart healthy and add years to your life.  Beside, some of us actually LIKE running!  It's sad that something that started out as a positive new thing has turned into a "we're better than all of you because you don't get it" club.  I've even been told if you're not doing crossfit you may as well be do nothing.  How sad.  Anyone doing anything is a good thing.  And maybe even all they can do.  Let me list a few reasons why I don't do crossfit:

1)  It's expensive!  Even if it were in my budget, I'd have a hard time swallowing that kind of monthly fee

2) I actually like to run.  It makes me feel good and I love the accomplishment I feel.  Certain songs or places make me want to jump out of my car and take off running.  Doing something you love is not of no worth.  Especially when it makes you healthier.

3) I have back issues and terrible knees.  Pregnancy was not nice to my back and my knees have been bad since 6th grade.  I have to be very careful in what I do when lifting is involved, right down to my laundry baskets.

4)  It's not inviting to the "beginner".  I never see overweight people in your facility, weak yes.. but not overweight.  When you see the commercials about "lunks" at the gym... This is not a put down, but someone who needs to lose weight and get in shape does NOT feel comfortable with a bunch of muscleheads throwing weights around.  This is a personal problem, but a problem nonetheless.  So we go to the regular gym and "pedal".

5)  This is a new one, but I wouldn't want to be looked at the way I'm starting to look at those who are there.  It makes me sad.  In the words of someone "can't we all just get along?"

In summary, I love my crossfit friends and I know many of you who are not like this, but unfortunately there are louder people than you making you look bad.  Any group of people who are working to become healthier, whether by crossfit, running, walking every night with their loved ones, kickboxing (I know a friend who lost 70 lbs just by doing that)... it shouldn't matter... we support and encourage each other, not throw around insults.  Love what you do, for sure! but let others love what they do as well. ♥

No comments: