Wednesday, April 18, 2012

They've got Talent



I'm sure you're thinking this is coming from their mother so it must be biased, but it's totally not.  They have TALENT!!  Last night was callbacks for Oliver.  I, being the choreographer, got to sit in on all the auditions.  We auditioned about 150 people initially and then called back about 50 to put in lead rolls.  Every one of my kids (except Brooklyn cuz there's not really a place for 12 year old girls) got a call back.  You may think it's because I'm on the "staff", but it's not... they're GOOD.  Rhett was called back to audition for the lead of Oliver.  I seriously love watching him.  He is squirly and sometimes annoying, but he is really good on a stage.  It came down to him and one other little boy.  They both would have done an outstanding job in that role, but when it came down to it, Rhett was just too old.  So sad, he was awesome.

Chelsey got called back for the lead of Nancy, but was really too young.  We knew that in the beginning, but she auditioned so well we had to let her try.  Whitley was called back for Bet, the girl who follows Nancy around through the whole show.  She rocked it!  Stephen was called back for just a reading part, but got robbed.  He blew my socks off with his reading.  I wanted to stand up and applaud he did so good.  Unfortunately they didn't feel he looked the part, which is an undertakers apprentice.  That's the only one that I had a hard time with, he was the best read.  Rhett and Dalin got called back to try for the main group of street orphans.  They both did really well, but Dalin let his desire to be funny rule his behavior.  Because he couldn't stop talking and being silly, he was not cast as a main orphan.  Lessons to be learned.

I was truly in awe watching them.  This was THEM doing their thing.  I got to compare them to others and yes, there are more talented people out there, but they hold their own.  I can't wait for the day Rhett gets his chance to be the lead.  And finally, Whitley got hers!  Chelsey is ok with being put in the ensemble because Spencer also auditioned so they will get to be together the whole time.  Fun for them to have this experience together.  Dalin and Brooklyn will be ensemble orphans while Rhett and Bo are in the main group.  Stephen will be ensemble as well.. robbed I tell ya!!  It should be lots of fun working all together.  Side note, Nick is the backstage manager for this show.  That means HE runs the crew back there.  Awesome!  What a blessing the theater has been to my family.

No comments: