Sunday, November 27, 2011

Black Friday Miracles

This year Black Friday was not like any other year and honestly, I didn't like it.  This year most of the big stores opened at 10pm or midnight.  Because of this, many people who wouldn't  normally go shopping on this day, did.  This caused, in my opinion, much more chaos.  Those people don't go knowing how crazy it's going to be, knowing the lines are long, and it's highly likely you won't get everything on your list.  I blame these people for the added violence, contention and aggression that I haven't normally witnessed.  Just my opinion.

This year, before I headed out at 8pm on Thanksgiving night, I decided to just jump on line and see if there was anything I could do from home.  Wow!  Both Target and Toys R Us had many things already available at their Black Friday prices.  (I know because I did my homework)  I was able to get just about everything I needed from both stores sent right to my home.  One was free shipping and the other was $5.  Now all I had to do was get what I needed at Wal Mart.

I headed out with Stephen in tow only to find that this particular Wal Mart allowed shoppers to tear open the cellophane wrapped pallets around 6 pm.  Thus, leaving many things empty or on short supply by the time I got there at 8.  It was seriously crazy.  Normally the pallets are guarded until the clock strikes, but not this year.  Stephen and I split up so we could find the stuff on my list.  We were able to find everything but one thing.  I was a little sad cuz I knew everyone else would be out of it as well.  We were allowed to get all our goods, but not check out until 10pm.  We waited just over an hour in the check out line waiting for it to be time.  While there, we saw many people we knew so we chatted to pass the time.  As I talked to a girl I knew briefly a long time ago, I mentioned the one thing I didn't find.  When she left, the girl in the line next to me pulled that very item out of her basket and handed it to me!!  She said they changed their mind and I could have hers!!  I wanted to cry right there.  Sweetness to the max!  We were checked out and driving home by 10:15.  I got a full 8 hours of sleep that night.

The next morning I was awakened by a text asking if I was sleeping and how was I not out shopping??  I got up and headed out again to look for my non essentials (that's what I call pjs and extra stuff like that).  I stopped at Target first and it was like a ghost town.  I parked up front, shopped with hardly anyone around and had several checker outers invite me to their empty lines.  Weird.  After that I went and met Tracie and mom for our tradional breakfast on this day.  We then headed to a few more stores, rounded up a few more treasures and then parted ways.  Tracie was pooped (she shopped all night) and Mom had to go to work.  I went to the mall.  This is where my 2nd miracle took place.

JcPenny had a coupon where you saved a certain amount dependant on how much you spent.  I was gathering the things that were a bargain and seeing how much that got me to.  I found something I wanted that was a seriously good deal and was so excited, but they didn't have exactly what I needed.  The guy says he can order it online and have it sent to my house for free.  I said that was great but I couldn't do it yet since I needed to find the rest of my items so I could use my coupon.  He said not to worry about it and let me use the coupon anyway!  SO, instead of paying $30 for the item (which is a great price), I got it for $20.  And mailed to my house!!!  The way everything worked out, I also got Katy's Christmas dress, normally $50, on sale for $25... for $15.  I would say that was a successful stop!!

We also had gotten a coupon in the paper for a free movie cup with purchase of a popcorn t-shirt.  Since we buy one anyway, we went to take advantage of that.  Bonus: they let us get a free popcorn and soda as well!!  Perfect treat for middle of the day!

Finally I was shopped out and had most of what I needed anyway so I went to deliver it to my secret hiding place, aka: Mom's house.  I had made plans with Tracie to meet up with our hubbies for dinner since it was date night, that was only 2 hours away so I took a quick nap and headed out for dinner.  We had a yummy dinner and then headed home for BED!  No, I didn't get up early, but man.. how a whole day of shopping can tucker you out. 

Once home I decided I would see if there was anything I still needed available online.  I was able to get the rest of what I wanted online, plus a deal I didn't even know they had that got me something free with what I was going to buy anyway!!  Perfect ending to a really crazy day.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

That's a whole lot of miracles. NICE!