Monday, November 1, 2010

Trunk or Treat 2010

Halloween came and went in a frenzied blur this year. Because Halloween was on a Sunday, and in trying to keep the Sabbath day holy, we celebrated on Friday night with our ward. This was my first event as ward activities chair so it's never quite as fun as when you get to just show up and enjoy, but I think it went pretty well. The weather was in the 90's and that sucked, but once the sun went down, it wasn't at all cool, but not hot either so I guess that's good. We had a chili and cornbread dinner along with hot dogs for the littler ones. (big ones too!)

After dinner, we did a costume parade but there was no one there to watch it, a a little sad, but what can ya do? To finish off the parade, we had the kids all dance to the Casper slide. I think that went over well for the most part. Then it was off to trick or treat! Katy and Bo did really well at keeping themselves busy and the bigger kids were very helpful with the games. Glade ran the powdered donut eating contest and Nick and his friend Jessie ran the pumpkin bowling. Luckily I had my trusty old sidekick (mom) to help get the kids ready and take pictures while I was running around. I think they all had a really good time.

On Sunday, we had family dinner as usual with lots of treats. The kids never once mentioned about not dressing up or going trick or treating. I'm so glad we didn't give in to the world and decided to stay home on Sunday. I think that lesson to our kids is way more valuable than a sack of candy. Now I'm truly ready for the next few months. SO much going on and to look forward to!




Bo and Katy

Whitley - she put this together herself and in finishing up, she bought her "undie" at GoodWill. She was so embarassed to check out with underwear there.


Rhett really struggled figuring out what he would be happy with. He finally settled on a Jamaican Carrot. Go figure.


On a last minute trip to Walgreens with coupon in hand, Dalin ended up a Ninja.


Brooklyn


Katy was set to be an Indian girl right up until I made that trip to Walgreens. I found this and couldn't resist. She was adorable!


My little Bumble Bee Bo



Stephen only stayed in this getup for the picture. He decided he didn't want to trick or treat and wear the costume. (they are only allowed to get candy if they are dressed up) He and Whitley were leaving trunk or treat to go to the homecoming game. Lucky for him, their school colors are Green and Gold.


Nick and Jessie, they helped set up beforehand along with Stephen so he was home when I took all the pictures. These two were so helpful to me!

Rhett should be a special education teacher. He spent some time pushing Bryce around trick or treating. He loves to help with him and church or wherever we are.

Glade and I getting ready to lead the Casper slide.


My big kids doing the casper slide

My not very unique costume. I had a green tutu to go with it.


This was our pumpkin bowling game. It was a big hit!

3 comments:

Heather said...

It was my first ward party in a long time and we had fun. I wish we had a microphone outside. Fun times, let me know what I can do to help with the next one.

Tammy said...

Great costumes! I so wish Rhett was just a few years older. we need a new respite worker and I would hire him in a heartbeat!!!

Unknown said...

What a fun party!! The trunk or treats here are lame. They are over in half an hour and everybody goes home. You all look really great in your costumes too!