Friday, February 19, 2010

That time of Year

Spring is fast approaching which means several things for me. First, hot weather. A great big YUCK to that. Second, a million activities to attend to. Seems like the end of the school year brings tons of concerts and programs and crap, I mean fun, activities like that. Now throw in 6 kids playing some sort of sport and my life becomes extremely chaotic. It all feels a little overwhelming right now, but I'm sure we'll all make it through. Bo is just old enough to start t-ball, by only one day! Brooklyn got mistakenly signed up for softball, that's a story...and Stephen and Nick both made the baseball team at school. At least that one's a two-fer. Chelsey and Whitley are both doing track this year as well. It appears as though Whitley may be a hurdler. That should be fun. Lucky for me, Katy is big enough to tag along most places without too much hassle and Rhett and Dalin are big enough to stay home for awhile if needed. I'm sure my freezer will be stocked with way too many frozen dinners and very unhealthy processed foods, but desperate times call for desperate measures. The worst is going to be the mega gas bill that we will now incur driving all over the place for practices and pick-ups etc.
I'm especially grateful for the timing of my upcoming race. One week from today we will have started our 200 mile relay from Prescott to Phoenix. Once this is over, my NEED to train will go away so I won't be stressing about getting my runs in. I'm getting excited and now slightly nervous about the whole adventure. I've learned that almost all things are survivable so even if it's hard or uncomfortable, it's temporary. I know we will have a great time whatever the case may be. Great people = Great fun!

The kids are all starting to get spring fever which is never good. For us that means, undone homework, picking and poking, and too many "notes home" from teachers asking them to stop talking. I try to be patient with them, after all...I'm tired of school by now too. Three more months and then we get to break. They are already asking what fun adventures we will be taking this summer. Right now I can't even imagine having the energy to do something like that, but I'm sure I'll get over that. Chelsey almost lost her job, but it all worked out in the end. Rhett finally got his new books in the mail and has been reading like crazy. Whitley is more freckled than I have ever seen her (being in the sun for track) and also appears to have an unofficial boyfriend. She's not 16 after all. Stephen in itching to be 14 to participate in all the fun activities that will bring. Brooklyn and Dalin are both doing well in school and Nick is still taking great care of our chickens. Katy and Bo...well, this picture sums up the nature of their relationship.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you are finding some time for yourself! You kids are so lucky to have you and Glade for parents. Dacia

Leslie said...

I don't envy you. I'm excited to hear how the race goes. And yeah...spring...good and bad all rolled together.

Tammy said...

Spring used to be my favorite time of the year...but that was when I lived in snow country. Now I really dread the end of Winter, except for the fact that school will soon be out. Have fun on that run. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Tomena said...

Love it! good luck on your race...200miles?

gena said...

Too cute! Good luck on the race. Hopefully weather will be in your favor :)