Friday, February 12, 2010

Forever On the Dance Floor

Please don't stop the music, music. It was only about a year ago that I let go of my "I'm too old for this" attitude and rediscovered my love of dancing. As a teenager, that's most of what I did. I love choreographed routines, being in front of a crowd, entertaining. It's a rush. It's just as much of a rush to be on a crowded dance floor moving to the music with friends as well. There's an old NSync song that says "the music gets me high." I always identified with that and felt it was such a perfect way of describing it. As I've aged, matured and well, to be to the point...gotten bigger, I let all that go for the sake of what others might think. It wasn't until we were on a cruise last May, a particular club on the boat was empty, but there was good music playing. Glade and I went in and started dancing. No one around to judge me. It was great. We danced till we were sweating and had so much fun. Eventually more people came, but by then we didn't care anymore. It was then that I came to the realization that I don't care. I love to dance.

From the time we are tiny babies we start bouncing when we hear a good beat. It's natural. It's also natural to get older and bigger and not look as good doing what we once did look good doing. Why does that matter? Unfortunately, there are not many places to go and enjoy such things that aren't riddled with scantily clad women, inappropriate music and alcohol. It's also unfortunate that the people I associate with, mainly speaking of friends in the church, aren't brought up to be crazy. They are more reverent and low key. I think that is perfectly fine and there is definitely a need and place for that, but isn't there a place for crazy fun? On a little side note but relevant, my kids love visiting with my family back in IL because, in their words, "your family is way more fun than dad's!" I was brought up to be silly and loud and crazy and sometimes maybe even a little too much so, but we have fun. While visiting at my Grandma's house back in IL, we got together just as adults and played a family favorite card game. We laughed till we cried. We were loud and joked with each other and acted goofy and loved every minute of it. When it was all said and done, my Gram made the comment "I think that's what I've been missing, fun."

I know not everyone feels the same about music and dancing as I do, but don't we all have something that makes us feel like that? This has all been brought to the forefront of my thoughts mainly because last night we attended the wedding of a cousin and for the reception they had a DJ. (not many LDS receptions do that) The dance floor remained empty for a very long time and finally they played Please don't stop the music and I sat there wishing I was up dancing. Next was Forever on the Dance Floor and I couldn't take it anymore. So, Glade and I did some solo performing for several songs. It was a little awkward at first, but then the I don't care part of me took over. This is fun! I'm sure there were some whispers and giggles and maybe even a little pointing, but guess what....I went home sweaty and feeling great! You....sat in a chair. Not even the teenagers there would get out and dance, after all...what would people think? Poor Whitley had to hide her head in shame as her old fart parents busted a move out on the empty dance floor. Some day, hopefully, she'll get it and she'll do the same thing to her children. That is my wish....to be Forever on the Dance Floor. I, of course, made a little request for Let it Rock and that was our finale. As I told Whitley (who never once made any attempt at movement)..."if you can't rock, you can't throw stones". Get it...rock, stones. Anyway, I had a great time. I'm lucky to have a husband who will shake his groove thing right along with me. I'm grateful for parents who also love to laugh and enjoy life and aren't too consumed with an "image" to uphold. And to my poor children.....Get Over It!

5 comments:

Tina said...

I can't tell you how happy I am to see you leave the "I'm too old and big to dance" behind. You have alway loved to dance.
As for embarrassing your kids...(and gee have our kids ever embarrassed us)... I'll bet some of their friends thought...your Mom and Dad are so much fun.
I am shocked that Whitley didn't jump right up and join you on the dance floor.

Jake and Jenny said...

Way to go! I need your example in my life, I am more on the reserved side but love to get out there and dance too.

Diana said...

I'll dance with you!

Leslie said...

Good for you! We should start a "Friday Night Dance" for old farts like us. ;)

Christian and I were one of the first ones to get out on the dance floor at his reunion. By the end of the night it was crowded and a total blast!

Tomena said...

I love to move too... but I don't really know how to do it...that should probably stop me but it usually doesn't.

My family is horribly loud! I always thought is was big families cause I'm the oldest of 8... but when I married Marlin I found out that it's not. He loves how open and relaxed my family is. To be honest we usually end up at my parents apposed to his becuase it's so much more comfortable there. I really hope that's how my kids end up feeling about our house.... comfortable and fun.