Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Mother's Day 2015

Mother's Day can go either way.  Sometimes I'm just not in the mood, and some times I'm in the mood for some serious celebrating.  This year was right in between.  Glade has been stressed and out of town for about a month now so I didn't have any expectations where he was concerned.  I knew all my littles had made sweet things for me and were dying to show me!!  They offered breakfast in bed, but I vetoed that a few years ago when they brought me a plethora of food balanced on a cookie cooling rack complete with seriously warm milk.  This year was just NICE.  And I'm sincere about that.  After a little bit of contention over who got to plan the "treasure hunt" for my gifts, all was well.  Katy made me a cute poster and several other things from activity days and school. I got the traditional facts about mom book from here.  Apparently I'm 250 in tall and weight 300.3 lbs.  Now, if you take that into proportion, I'm quite thin!  She's also aware I like quiet time and hate Chipotle.  I love those books.   Bo and the other kids found a chunk of wood and carved nice messages in it.  They even wrapped in Christmas paper!  We all had breakfast together on the "prom" table and then went to church.  I had the wonderful opportunity of speaking in church this Mother's Day.  We had a missionary reporting on this mission so they asked a couple of missionary moms to report on their sons and share a faith promoting story.  I'm not really sure what I said, I had nothing specifically prepared when I got up there. Every time I started to think of something to say, I would start to cry.  So I just tried not to think too much.  Of course, I didn't make it through without a few *cough cough* tears.  But it was fine, other than just maybe a bit mean to ask a missionary mom to speak about her kid who is far far away on Mother's Day.  Whitley and Nick came with us to church since they couldn't be there for dinner.

After church, I got a nice nap and cleaned up for dinner.  We got a last minute surprise of the Elders calling and asking if they could come to dinner.  I always love that and Elder Tagg was leaving in a couple of days so we got to say goodbye.  Chelsey and Whitley and Mom all came over and we ate Chocolate covered strawberries and Oreo balls while we waited for Stephen's call.

It was a wonderful day and of course there were so many beautiful messages on FB today.  Not just from my own kids, but just so much love floating around.  Here's my tribute:

I love Mother's Day!! It's a day to celebrate and be grateful for all the "moms" in our lives. I have them in so many varieties. First, I have a Mom. The BEST mom! She is my right hand a lot of the time and is never too busy to be wherever stuff is going on. She gives and serves and then gives some more. I love her!! Someday I'll be as good as she is, still working on it.  I also have a wonderful step-mom who has been nothing but kind and loving and supportive my whole life. She loves my family like her own and has been such a blessing to us. I have a MIL who gave me a wonderful husband who was raised in love and passes that along to our family. I have a grandma who I just adore who inspires me through her daily endurance of what has not always been an easy life. I have had SOO many friends throughout my life who have taught and supported and loved my family. They are examples to me in many many ways. I have wonderful sweet daughters who are experiencing motherhood for the first time, what a joy! And women across the world who are mothering and caring for my sweet missionary boy. And Lastly... I AM a mother! The best thing I've ever done with my life. This is not a day to celebrate my "greatness", but to express my humble gratitude for the blessing of having all these wonderful children entrusted to me by a loving Father in Heaven. Of all things I ever do, they will be my greatest accomplishment. So Happy Mother's Day to all women, moms or not, for I'm positive you have been a motherly blessing to those you have loved and served. 
— with Bernice Manary and 5 others.

No comments: