Thursday, July 9, 2015

Switching Schools

Got some big changes going on over here.  A bit of history: 3 years ago when Rhett started HS, the school we were currently attending and LOVED didn't offer a high school.  So we switched to a new school that was just opening very close to our home.  We really liked it the first year.  Since then, it has really troubled me.  Every year there has been a different principal and many teachers leave right in the middle of the year.  I won't go into the details of all the reasons we have chosen to leave, I'm not looking to defame or insult anyone, but let's just say "it was time".

Back in February, I kind of tossed out the idea of switching back, our school now offers a high school.  I was really just expressing frustration, but Rhett jumped right on it and hasn't wavered in his decision.  Brooklyn, however, laid on the floor and cried at the mere mention of it.  So I wasn't ready yet to make her do it.  We went down the road of getting Rhett switched over and the more we did  it and dealt with both schools, the more I was sure that Brooklyn needed to come back as well.

Let's just say it didn't go well when I told her.  I waited till all her finals were done and there was only a day and a half left of school.  But surprisingly, she came around quite quickly.  It's still not her first choice, but she has been very mature and reasonable about the whole thing.  It's honestly been such a huge relief to cut ties and have all my kids back at the same school again.

The challenge comes in because it's Rhett's senior year and according to AIA rules, if you move, you can't compete in sports for a year.  Dumb.  But even knowing that, we still felt it best to move on.  We have an appeal in to the AIA asking them to make an exception.  We won't know the outcome of that for another couple of months.  I'm so proud of both of them for doing hard things even though they don't completely understand all the reasons.  Two more weeks till school starts and I'm so nervous for both of them!  They will know lots of kids, it's just hard when you've been away and your loyalties were elsewhere.  But thank Heaven for consistency and same schedules and trust and happy families. ♥

No comments: