Wednesday, July 22, 2015

It's Our Song

Ok, Maybe this is weird, but it is what it is.  I kind of have a "song" with some of my kids.  You know, something happens and it just kind of becomes "your song".  Not all of them are even mutual, but just that that particular song makes me think of them.

 For Chelsey, it's Don't Break Even.  We were driving up to Flagstaff to get her ready for college and it came on and I hadn't heard it much and I don't know...seeing her in the seat next to me, her singing, me liking it, us doing something new and important together...It just kind of stuck.  I think of that moment every time I hear it.

I'm not really sure I have one for Whitley, but here are a couple that make me think of her for strange reasons.  Thunder is one, cuz she loved it and it was my ringtone for her.  Then there's Wanted.  That's totally weird cuz it's really something that was between her and her first boyfriend, Jordan.  But it was so sweet and then I was sad when they broke up and now this awesome song with a sweet experience was tainted, lol.  I'm not sad they broke up, just that it ruined the song.  Weird, I know.

Nick, well there's this song...How to Save a Life...probably self explanatory.

Stephen has two.  One is because we were driving and it came on and he cranked it and started singing along saying how much he loved it.  I'm not even sure of it's official name, but it was a country song about Rolling the Windows down.  He was so cute.  Then there's Uncle Cracker's You Make Me Smile.  That one makes me do a little gasp whenever I hear it now that he's been gone for so long.

Rhett's is probably the most "mutual" one.  Long story short, I fell in love with this song and wanted someone to sing it for auditions.  He readily agreed and when he sang it, it was so beautiful. Seriously, I wanted to punch him it was so sweet.  It's A Thousand Years.  So now that's our song.  We were skating one time and it came on and he yelled "mom!" across the rink and pointed at me.  Now that he's getting older, he's a little less "committed" to it, but he knows. ♥  The other day he suggested a new song become ours.  I can't even remember what it was, but it was funny.

Just the other day Bo declared that he and I have a song.  Just randomly, the same song has come on twice recently while we were driving and he was in the front seat.  It was Separate Ways by Journey.  he was just drumming and air guitaring with all his might!  We talked about how some things are just always great, like Journey.  We sang it loud and proud.  The second time it came on, he lights up and says "Mom, this is our song!".  Sweet, we have a song!

That brought up the conversation with the other kids about "whats our song?"  I tried to explain that you don't just choose one, you have an experience and it all just connects.  So now sweet Katy is looking for something to be our song.  Right now she's going with Shake it Off, but I'm sure something real will come along sometime soon.  That just leaves Dalin and Brooklyn.  Guess we gotta keep driving places!!

No comments: