Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Rhett

Where to even begin with this kid?  Rhett turned 17 in February and will be a senior here  in a couple of weeks.  I like to describe my relationship with Rhett as bipolar.  Either I want to hug him, or punch him in the face.  Not much in between for this kid.  He is super smart and talented and completely unmotivated to do anything with it.  He was in his school's high choir, but will still insist he can't sing.  He was on the back up ballroom team and that's probably his very favorite thing to do. He wasn't able to do track because he was in the school play HSM as Ryan and they overlapped.  He continues to work at  Taco Bell, over a year now.  He has taken a recent interest in  Rugby and Parkour.  Both make me nervous.  He's had a girlfriend for the last couple of months and I'm pretty sure that's the only reason he passed his classes.  Thanks Jocelyn!  He serves as the first Asst in the Priest Quorum at church and is planning on serving a mission when he graduates in a year.   









Glade took the priests in the ward on a ski trip that I was lucky enough to tag along for.  Rhett had never skied and is not much of an adrenaline junkie.  To make a long embarrassing story short, it took a really long time to get down the hill the first time.  I'm sure his girlish screams and tears were a sight for many that passed us.  Yes, he did take the lessons first.  No, he didn't quit, the second time down he went like a champ and even tried to coach his friend like "it was no big deal".  Funny boy.


One of these Elders were transferring so we took them to Taco Bell to be able to say goodbye to Rhett.






For Rhett's birthday, I took him out of school and we went to Firehouse Subs for lunch. I love that he is not yet embarrassed by me, but is happy to still hang out with me.



I took Rhett and Dalin to see a movie McFarland which was about cross country runners.  It's fun to spend some time with my big boys. 



Rhett in choir


Rhett got the part of Ryan in the school play.  He was awesome!  This is the first time he's ever had a lead role.  He's had lots of "second string" parts but nothing lead like this where he sang solos and had lots of lines.  Love love loved watching him shine.






If you're gonna use Mom's phone to take 50+ selfies, be prepared to suffer the consequences
















This is what kind of ended his obsession with Parkour.  He actually is pretty good at it for having no training, but just messing around.  He got his back flip down pretty good and even did it for a show he was in.  He could do it pretty much anytime.  Well, he was practicing it for another show and he was still kind of walking when he went into it, so he lost his footing and face planted.  When the school called to tell me and ask me to come get him, I was kind of mad.  I was thinking "I have to get you for a little rugburn?"  Then when I saw him, I felt really bad.  That is NOT makeup of any kind, that's what he looked like.  He hasn't done a flip since.  Gotta get him back on the horse.



Ballroom













No comments: