Sunday, April 14, 2013

Auditions - The Wiz

Another exhausting, emotional and completely fascinating weekend of auditions.  This one was a little different for me as the actual director.  I think I may have mentioned this before, but I'm just not sure I have the stomach for this part of it.  I have really only experienced the merciful part of this process.  That means that my kids (one in particular) were given chances they (he) probably didn't deserve.  And it was life changing for him.  I want every family to have those experiences.  I guess I'm also a sucker for the underdog.  I didn't realize that until now.  I'm certainly not one to think every kid needs a trophy cuz they showed up.  No, you need to earn that.  Win something!  But in the case of the theater, there are so many talented people.  I could kind of describe it in levels.  The ones that are just naturally gifted.  I have learned that recently, not all things can just be learned.  Some things are truly God given gifts.  It puts me in awe to hear some of these little ones belt out things that should only come from adults or professionals.  Then there are the 2nd stringers.  These are the ones I feel the worst for.  They are talented kids/people who work hard and want so badly for their chance to shine.  Unfortunately there are those gifted ones who are just plain better and usually get the parts. I'm a mother to a bunch of those and I have experienced the tears and sadness that comes from never quite being good enough.  Then there are all the average people who love to do it, want to do it, but know there isn't really a "part" for them but are happy just being there.  Oh yah, one more group, the ones who think they are gifted and truly believe they will land the starring role but maybe shouldn't be on a stage at all.  Those are the real heart breakers.

So now as the one ultimately responsible for casting the show, I get to take responsibility for all the hearts broken and those that are over the moon happy.  I haven't learned to shut my heart out of the process, not sure I can ever do that.  My tendency is to give those 2nd stringers a chance!  They would do great after all.  But the right thing is probably to give it to those that are just ultimately better.  My head knows that, but my heart hasn't caught up yet.  Tomorrow is our callback day where we officially try them in different rolls and make decisions.  After that, it gets fun.  I'm sure this process gets easier, but for now it's really really hard.

No comments: