Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Recovering from Sending off a Missionary

I'm alive and I barely  cry!!  The first week was rough, not knowing when he might be able to send an email.  Knowing he was sick when he left and I can't check on him or take care of him.  I was sure he was fine, but the mom in me just wanted to call the MTC and have someone tell me he was fine.  But I didn't.  The first email finally came on Tuesday morning.  Actually a written letter came the day before, but we didn't get the mail till morning.  So I left for Summer Movies very excited to have gotten a letter!  Then, during the movie, his first email came through.  THEN, later that day... pictures!!  It was a great day!

And of course, he was doing great and seemed so happy.  I had written him using Dearelder.com about every other day.  That was probably more for me than him.  Brooklyn and I put together a greenie box for him as well.  In his email he said he would be leaving the following Monday for Hawaii.  And he gets to call while at the airport!

Once contact had been made, things goT a whole lot easier.  Monday actually came around quickly and we waited for that phone call for an hour and a half!  Finally , the phone rang.  We got to talk to him for 20 min.  I tried to remember all the questions I had had and also to let him tell all the things he'd been wanting to share.  Awesome awesome awesome!  He's doing really good and is so focused and confident.  He got to email me once he landed in Hawaii to let me know he was safe.  Then the next day we got another letter in the mail.  It was a bit repetitive because he wrote it before he called, but I absolutely loved it.  Now his P-day (preparation days) are on Mondays.  That's when we will get our weekly email.  Knowing he's actually there and when I will get to hear from him releases a lot of anxiety.

I still cry randomly, at weird times when I least expect it.  But not as much and not usually for long periods of time like before.  I still cry if I imagine him walking away at the airport, but I try not to do that too regularly.  I cried in church Sunday as I looked down the bench and acknowledged that his "usual" spot was empty.  I hear stuff like that happens the whole time they are gone.  But at least it's bearable now.  I also know there will be good and bad days.  And that he'll have hard times and I have to let him learn and grow and figure stuff out without me.  I'm trying to brace myself now, before those times happen.  I will post his letters and pictures  HERE.  As hard as this has been for me, there's not one thing I would change.  What a proud mom I am to have a son willing and worthy to go share the gospel with God's children.  I wouldn't want him anywhere else. ♥





No comments: