Saturday, June 1, 2013

Ending with a Bang... or Crash!

So just when I thought the insanity had ended... I made it through Friday.. no more school!!!  We were in Fountain Hills that night helping some good friends celebrate their 10th anniversary when I got the call.  Yes, the one I have been anticipating for about 5 years now.  The one that says... "Mom, I got in an accident".  Actually I've had a few of those already, but they were little bumper things, nothing that has been too worrisome.  Until now.

Stephen was driving (I gave him 6 months, it's May 31), we aren't exactly sure what happened, but in the end he wound up hitting a curb, over correcting into oncoming traffic, over correcting the other direction and back up on to the sidewalk hitting a tree.  The damage is all on the rear passenger side.  Both tires on that side are flat, one blown.. and the back side window smashed. The bumper is a little twisted and missing the piece that covers the back corner.  At this point we are not sure if there is actual damage to the underside or anything.  He was a wreck and I felt so bad for him.  There is good news though.

He wasn't hurt.  No other vehicles were involved and it's truly miraculous that our huge van made it through two spaces between a whole row of trees lining the street.  There are big trees on the side of the sidewalk by the road and then little trees on the other side of the sidewalk.  He made it though the big trees, hit a little tree (smashed the window) and then back through big trees to get back on the road.  The fact that no other cars or pedestrians were involved is such a blessing because it could have been really bad.

I'm getting really good at not worrying about my things, but it's still frustrating and costly.  Being without a van for us is a real handicap.  But I love him, and I'm sorry for him for how scary that must have been.  Though we will probably never know exactly what happened or what the true cause was, hopefully lessons will be learned and love will be felt.  This is not eternal,  just inconvenient

2 comments:

Leslie said...

It's amazing how something like this gives you perspective. Sorry your van is scrunched, but so glad your son isn't!

Tammy said...

How scary. So sorry about the messed up van. I'm so glad Stephen is okay and that it wasn't any worse than it was.